A massive congratulations to seven-year-old Gabriela Beard from Worcester – the winner of The Big Issue’s Kids Christmas Cover Competition 2021, in association with WHSmith. Gabriela took our theme of ‘Christmas Wish’ and was inspired to show how Santa can help fix the housing crisis. As you can see, this year Father Christmas is delivering houses to homeless people, thanks to what Gabriela calls his incredible ‘Shrink Vay’ gadget that makes them small enough to fit perfectly into his sack for easy transportation. Gabriela told us she felt “very happy” to have her drawing on the cover of one of our biggest selling magazines of the year – and we are very happy too!
Stormzy’s Christmas party
The Big Issue was on the guest list to the Christmas party of the season when the rap superstar threw a shindig for kids in his hometown of Croydon. There was unlimited hot chocolate and Spider-Man henna tattoos for all!
Christmas in Calais
Right now, there are around 2,000 people preparing to spend a harsh winter in makeshift camps in the north of France. Imogen Hardman from Care4Calais reveals the terrible conditions but also finds the spirit of the season in the most unexpected setting.
It’s been a year of highs, with a few lows, for the sprint cyclist who had one of the greatest sporting comebacks of all time. He tells us how he’s overcome adversity on – and off – the track.
- A selection of the best kids books of the year that ever nice child deserves in their stocking
- Some of the best words of wisdom from a year of Letters To My Younger Self
- Star of The Witcher, Freya Allan, on why the world’s fallen under the spell of the Netflix hit
- By popular demand, Alan’s quiz is back as a Christmas gift to all readers
- And Uckfield vendor Omida looks forward to spending a family Christmas with her kids
Plus much more!